Hempster Hollandaise: Cannabis Infused Hollandaise
Elevate your next brunch with this take on a classic hollandaise sauce. This sauce isn’t only for eggs Benedict either, drizzle over seafood or vegetables such as salmon, asparagus or grilled shrimp.
2 Eggs, yolks only
70 g butter, 30 grams cannabutter (change ratio for desired number of people or effects)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. mustard, Dijon
Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
1. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, keeping only the yolks. Place the yolks in a stainless steel bowl.
2. Melt 100g of canna butter and set aside
3. Add lemon, and mustard, to the stainless steel bowl with the egg yolks. Place the bowl over a sauce pan of lightly simmering water (double boiler). Whisk vigourously until the mixture becomes thick and pale, ensuring that the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. It’s critical the mixture does not overheat and scramble the eggs. (To moderate heat you can remove the bowl from the heat for a few seconds at a time.)
5. Gradually add small splashes of butter from jar, whisking well. As they cook, the eggs will become frothy and increase in volume, and then thicken. When you can see the bottom of the bowl through the streaks of the whisk and the eggs are thick and smooth, remove from the heat.
Note – keep an ice cube nearby in case the mixture starts to split. Drop it in and continue whisking.
6. To thin the finished sauce, add white wine vinegar as desired and mix.
7. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, whisking in well.