French Onion Soup
This warm, hearty classic soup is made even more comforting with a cannabis infusion.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 lbs vidalia onions, sliced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup brandy
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
8 cups beef stock
3 bay leaves
3 large thyme stems
4 1/2 thick slices of baguette
4 oz gruyere cheese, grated
Infusion- 1/4 cup cannabis olive oil
1. Heat the butter and cannabis oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions with a few pinches of salt, and cook for 10 minutes, until fragrant. Add the mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook for 50 minutes longer, until the onions are a golden brown.
2. Add the cognac to the pot, stirring well to release any brown bits from the bottom. Cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the wine, and simmer for another 15 minutes. Add the beef stock, bay leaves, thyme stems, and a bit of freshly cracked black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce heat back down to medium. Allow to simmer another 30 minutes. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Toast the baguette slices, and preheat the broiler on high heat (500F)
5. Ladle the soup into four oven-proof serving bowls. Top each soup with a baguette slice, and one ounce of cheese per bowl.
6. Place the bowls onto a baking sheet, and place the baking sheet into the oven under the broiler. Broil 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubble. Serve immediately.