Quick and Easy Homemade Cannabis Topical Cream
Fans of cannabis-infused creams, or topicals, say they are great for soothing painful cramps, relieving localized pain and reducing inflammation.
Currently, Health Canada does not permit the sale of cannabis creams, although some licensed producers (LPs) sell pre-made creams that can be mixed with their oils for legal home use.
Here’s simple guide to making topical cannabis creams at home, with some background on what they are and how they work.
What are topicals?
Topicals are cannabis-infused lotions and balms that can be applied to the skin for localized relief of pain, soreness, and inflammation. Topicals are preferred by patients who want the therapeutic benefits of cannabis without a psychoactive high.
Will topicals get me high?
In most cases, even if a topical contains active THC, it still won’t induce the high you’d expect from otherwise ingesting cannabis. This is because the cannabinoids can’t breach the bloodstream through the skin. (It’s worth noting that some transdermal patches can deliver cannabinoids into the bloodstream and induce psychoactive effects, but these products are not yet legally available in Canada)
What symptoms do topicals treat?
Anecdotally, topicals are useful for localized pain relief, soreness, inflammation and more. Recent studies indicate they may be useful in treating skin allergies, psoriasis, dermatitis, headaches, arthritis, cramping, mild skin irritations and more. Many people are also using topicals in the form of lubricants for enhanced sexual pleasure.
How to make homemade topicals
Our cannabis-infused topical is a smooth and non-greasy.
Note that you can simply mix any cannabis oil with your favourite cream to make an even simpler cannabis topical.
- In a double boiler (or a pan set on top of a pot with simmering water), melt 1 cup of cannabis coconut oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of organic olive oil to the infused coconut oil. (The olive oil helps create a smoother finished product and improves absorption.)
- Add 1/3 cup of beeswax. Mix in or whisk the beeswax until it is melted. (The beeswax reduces greasiness.)
- Optional – Feel free to add a splash of tea tree oil, eucalyptus, clove, or any other essential oil.
- Once melted and mixed, pour the mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Once cooled, whisk everything together and pour into a jar or container. Mix the product one last time, seal it, and let it cool.
You now have your own homemade cannabis topical! Let us know how yours turned out or if you have any recommendations.
Looking for more cannabis information and advice? Book your free consultation with a medical cannabis prescriber, or call 1-888-671-8022 with questions.