Jalapeno-Bacon Mac and Cheese
All the creamy comforting goodness of mac and cheese, with a smokey bacon and jalapeno kick.
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the macaroni according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain, and set aside.
3. In a large pot over medium high heat, cook the bacon until all the fat is rendered and the bacon bits are completely cooked. Remove the bacon pieces from the pot, and lay them on a plate lined with paper towel.
4. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the butter to the bacon fat, and stir until completely melted. Add the flour, and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes, making sure the flour doesn’t burn. Pour milk, add the mustard and jalapeno, and stir well. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Beat the egg in a large bowl. Ladle in a small bit of the sauce to temper the egg, and whisk well. Add another ladle of sauce to the egg mixture, whisking well once again to prevent the egg from scrambling. Ladle once more bit of sauce into the egg mixture, and whisk well. Gently pour the tempered mixture into the remaining sauce in the pot, whisking well as you pour. Stir in half of the bacon bits. Add in the grated cheese, and stir to melt the cheese into the sauce. Taste, and season with salt and white pepper.
6. Mix the cooked macaroni in the sauce, making sure it’s evenly incorporated.
7. To serve, spoon the macaroni and cheese into individual bowls. Garnish with the remaining bacon.