Chicken “Pot” Pie
Classic, comforting chicken pot pie is elevated with an herbaceous twist, and properly portioned in mason jars for a portable dose of dinner or lunch.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 5 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
Infusion- 5 tablespoons cannabis butter
Infusion- 1 tablespoon cannabis olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 cups chicken stock
Infusion- 2 tablespoons cannabis butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 cup 35% cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
1 cup frozen green peas
1 egg, beaten
1. chop the cannabis butter into small chunks, and freeze for 20 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine the frozen butter chunks, flour, sugar and salt. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles cornmeal, with a few chunks of butter still remaining. Add the water slowly, until a dough has formed.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and roll out until it is 1/4″ thick. Cut the dough into 8 large uniform circles for the bottom crusts (for the bottom), and 8 smaller uniform circles (for the top). Press the bottom crusts into the jars, and lay the top crusts onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Allow both to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. In a large, heavy bottomed pan, warm the infused olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken, and sear until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
5. Add the onion, carrot, celery and thyme to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Add the flour, and mix with the veg mix, stirring well to coat. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Return the chicken to the pan, and pour in the stock, adding enough to just cover the chicken. Stir vigorously, making sure all the flour is incorporated evenly into the mixture. Reduce the heat to low, and allow the mixture to cook for 7 more minutes.
6. Add the cream and parsley. Allow to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the frozen peas, and continue to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400F.
8. Remove the pastry-lined jars from the fridge. Pour the chicken mixture evenly into each jar. Lay the crust on top of each jar, leaving a bit of overhang over all sides. Pinch the dough along the edge of the jar, and pierce the top with a paring knife to allow the steam to escape while baking.
9. Place the baking sheet with the jars into the center of the oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.